Methods for password storage

Bill Scherer scherbi at bam.com
Mon Apr 3 07:46:04 EDT 2000

Brad -

Don't store the password.  Use crypt (unix only) or maybe MD5, and store
the encrypted password.  This way no one can view the user's real pasword.
When authenticating the user, you must encrypt the password provided (in
the same manner, obviously), and compare it to the stored version.  If they
match, the user knows the password.  crypt and md5 are one way ciphers,
that is there is no way, other than brute force, to get the original text
out of the ciphertext.

The crypt algorithm is what many unix systems use to encrypt users
passwords.  The encrypted password can be viewed by most users in the file
/etc/password.  You may choose to make your store of encrypted passwords
unaccesible to the average user.  That would make brute force attackes more
difficult ;-).

If I've gotten any of this wrong, someone will point that out soon, but
this is basically the method I'm using.

-Bill  Scherer