Dynamic web pages! not Dynamic HTML

Sunil Hadap Sunil.Hadap at cui.unige.ch
Wed Apr 19 14:52:02 EDT 2000

Hello,

I am really dumb in databases and perl. I am good at python and it's
my scripting language for whatever I do in graphics. I want to start
doing my homepage which is inspired from

http://www.photo.net/photo/

I want to implement the following features
a) As I too do lots of photography, I want to put my photographs all
over the web pages, may be randomly or depending upon context.
b) I don't want to hardcode any of the hyperlinks, so that I can move
my pages and still keep the links intact. Idea is, the link will be
always to a single page with a tag, which will take you to right page.

c) User will be able to add his comment to any page like this (bottom
of the page)
http://www.photo.net/photo/nikon/n90s.html
d) There will be lots of tags associated with pages. I just refer to
the tag and I should get automatic hyperlink to the appropriate point.

In short, I will be writing a page, not exactly a html page but rather
a template with special tags say @photo(location=geneva,
choice=random, qulity=best, addkey=lake). It will search the database
to narrow down and finally select a random photo. Another tag will be
just @"good exposure" or @"particle system". From these template
files, the system will generate html document replacing all tags with
appropriate hyperlink or image etc, on the fly.

I want to do this in Python. Is zope useful for this, I don't want to
learn a big system as I only want few specific functions only. Which
free database?

Thanks a lot

Sunil

--