Dynamic web pages! not Dynamic HTML

Richard Jones Richard.Jones at fulcrum.com.au
Wed Apr 19 18:23:19 EDT 2000

[Sunil Hadap]
> I am really dumb in databases and perl. I am good at python and it's
> my scripting language for whatever I do in graphics. I want to start
> doing my homepage which is inspired from
>
> http://www.photo.net/photo/

[snip]

> I want to do this in Python. Is zope useful for this, I don't want to
> learn a big system as I only want few specific functions only. Which
> free database?

   What system are you running? If it's RedHat Linux (or similar) then you'll
already have a relational database at your fingertips. You will need to figure
out the basics of using it. If you have a reasonable number of photos (say <
10,000) then you could even use gadfly, the Python RDBMS!

   Phil has spent quite a lot of time developing that site (Tcl over a
relational database) - and you should expect to spend some time on it also.
That's assuming he won't just give you his code :)

   I would suggest that you develop a Zope site - for three reasons:
   . it'll make using a "real" database much simpler thanks to Zope's
easy-as-pie SQL methods. Remember, Zope comes with gadfly bundled in the box.
   . you'll automatically get access to a bunch of public-contributioned prior
art: guestbooks, news pages, FAQ handlers and so on. See the member area on
www.zope.org for a taste.
   . once you're done, you can make the Zope products you generate available to
others so they can put up their photos too!

   What you describe with the @photo tag in a "sorta HTML" page is actually
going to be quite simple to do in Zope. Ask around on the zope mailing lists if
you're stuck - they're all quite helpful people over there :)

       Richard