Why should I switch to Python?

Tres Seaver tseaver at starbase.neosoft.com
Wed Apr 12 22:49:53 EDT 2000

In article <8d2blf$b1n$1 at pegasus.csx.cam.ac.uk>,
Nick Maclaren <nmm1 at cus.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

>In article <8d2aa8$n58$1 at newshost.accu.uu.nl>, m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
>  (Martijn Faassen) writes:

>|> It's in the hacker's dictionary:
>|>
>|> http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/entry/grok.html
>
>According to something I read, incorrectly attributed!  Apparently
>Heinlein got it from something he read, and forgot the fact - it
>was then pointed out to him and he said something equivalent to
>"Oops".  That doesn't stop the attribution to him circulating :-)

I don't buy "got it from something he read" unless the Marsport Times
was being delivered to Colorado Springs c. 1960 using Guido's TimeMachine.
You need *better* attribution to contest priority of existing, valid
attribution.

See RAH's _Grumbles from the Grave_ for more history on SIASL.

>The same thing has happened with the expression "To damn with
>faint praise", incidentally - it is attributed to Pope, but is
>actually Wycherley.

Hmm, maybe you'll argue that LeGuin's _Left Hand of Darkness_ should be
attributed there, too :)

Tres.