Why should I switch to Python?

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Sun Apr 2 08:15:08 EDT 2000

"Tim Peters" <tim_one at email.msn.com> writes:

> Python's [...] philosophy of raising exceptions is "gripe whenever there's
> a reasonable doubt" rather than "assume the programmer meant whatever
> they wrote".

That one is particularly valuable to me.  When I write C, it is very tedious
having to check all return codes and take a diagnostic action for most cases.
Of course, I could do like many and just check here and there, but then,
error handling has no spinal chord.  This aspect of C programming has been
bothering me for the last twelve years :-).  In Python, I only have to
handle errors for which I want something else than a diagnostic action,
which is much less burden while programming.