Installing Python on NT

Hans Nowak hnowak at cuci.nl
Mon Apr 24 17:21:20 EDT 2000

On 24 Apr 00, at 20:36, Lee Malatesta wrote:

> I'm interested in installing Python on a properly battened down NT
> workstation for which I do not have administrative priveledges.  This is
> my workstation at work.  Mostly I just want to play around with
> SGMLtools which is largely written in Python.  The installer told me
> that I have to install logged in as administrator.  This is the first
> program I've installed where this was necessary.  Unfortuntely for me to
> install this as admin, I'd have to put in a request to PC support, they
> would have to review to see if there is a need for me to have Python
> installed and then send one of the PC support personelle out to install
> for me.
>
> Anyone know of anyway I can circumvent the need to be root to install?

I didn't test this, but methinx you should be able to just take the files
(exe, standard library) and copy them somewhere on your computer. I don't
know if everything will work this way, esp. the Tkinter stuff. If all else
fails, you could install a DOS version, which lacks some stuff (GUI,
sockets and such) but which is fully functional otherwise.

Blessed be,

--Hans Nowak (zephyrfalcon at hvision.nl)
Homepage: http://www.hvision.nl/~ivnowa/newsite/
Python questions? See http://tor.dhs.org/~zephyrfalcon/snippets
You call me a masterless man. You are wrong. I am my own master.