Unicode program representation

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Mon Apr 3 20:30:28 EDT 2000

Moshe Zadka <moshez at math.huji.ac.il> writes:

> FWIW, I believe that Python's (official) parser should be strictly UTF-8.

I would be very unhappy if I was loosing the capability of editing my files
directly in Latin-1.  I might come to use UTF-8 all over one of these days,
or maybe not.  Let it be my choice.

> it's trivial to write a script to convert between anything and UTF-8
> (in Python, of course <wink>).

Granted.  But I do not feel like being forced into using such a script.

It is good that Python is able to process Unicode.  It would be wrong if it
was starting to impose Unicode on users, in so sharing the fanatic attitude
some people have about Unicode.  I like what Python 1.6 does currently, that
is, leaving me the choice about where is my own comfort while using Python.