Sourceforge and Python

Neil Hodgson neilh at hare.net.au
Tue Apr 25 20:18:28 EDT 2000

> So, merely beginning to explore the possibility, I'm asking for advice
> on this list, as to if there is environments offering a set of services
> similar to `sourceforge', but that would be especially Python-using,
> or Python-aware.  Of course, and also given some recent saga reported on
> this list, stability and availability are parts of the requirements :-).

   I don't know about a more Python specific site, but I moved part of
Scintilla to SourceForge a couple of months ago. Most of it is OK, but some
aspects of SourceForge are more difficult than they should be.

   The worst to me is file uploading where you upload each file over FTP to
a staging area (shared with all the other projects) then use a slow set of
web pages to move them file by file (with no remembering of common input
between files) into your download area. If your distribution is only one or
two files then it will be OK, but for a large set of downloadables, it is
too hard.

   Aspects which are good at SourceForge include having MailMan to set up
mailing lists with archives and no advertising. Your site may be found by
people searching or browsing SourceForge. CVS access is normally good
although there are problems on Windows with SourceForge's choice of SSH
version _1_ for write access.

   Neil