Mac Python Questions

Kent Polk kent at tiamat.goathill.org
Thu Apr 20 12:44:24 EDT 2000

On Thu, 20 Apr 2000 15:57:38 +1200, Greg Ewing wrote:
>Jeff Massung wrote:
>>
>> b) No matter what I do, I can't get Tkinter to work :(.
>
>Neither can I, and from what I've seen here, neither
>can anyone else. Tkinter just seems to be broken on
>the Mac at present.

I have the distributed Python 1.5.2 with tkinter (precompiled)
working on some older PPC macs and even some G3's (or whatever they
are).  I know nothing about Macs, but I finally got around to
writing a tkinter frontend for a PCR data postprocessor that had
to run on the wetlab Macs that run the ABI 'Genotyper' software.
I developed on unix and just had to adapt some printer support code
that I found in the included mac-specific stuff for it to run on
the Macs.

The standard Python installation program installed the wrong version
of the _tkinter shared library and(/or) didn't set the path to the
correct (ppc) version, so Python couldn't load _tkinter. If that
is the problem, there are several ways to solve it.  If that isn't
the problem, I'm not sure what to tell you as it's working on I
think 3 or 4 different mac platforms here.