[ANNOUNCE] Garbage collection for Python

Quinn Dunkan quinn at drachma.ugcs.caltech.edu
Sun Apr 16 13:13:47 EDT 2000

>> - Even so, Chris and I agree that continuations should eventually
>>   be completely hidden from the user, since it's so incredibly
>>   obscure, hardly anyone will understand it. Not good for CP4E ;-)
>
>Today I'm saying so. But I think there will come a time
>where people are told "look, a continuation is as simple as 1+1",
>and they'll say "sure? I thought a co is simpler."

I'm not sure I understand correctly, but does "completely hidden from the
user" mean "only visible (in the "raw" form) from C"?  In that case, I think
it should still be visible from python.

I don't see how it's different from metaclasses or the "new" module:  just
put big red stickers on it.  It'd be nice to have around for people who want
to experiment, write obfuscated code, or maybe even write a useful
continuation-using extension.  I don't think there's much trouble with people
abusing the Beaudry hook to explode anyone's head other than their own.