Dialect, A Python derived environment (and language ?)

William Tanksley wtanksle at dolphin.openprojects.net
Thu Sep 23 19:27:13 EDT 1999

On Thu, 23 Sep 99 22:21:44 GMT, Phil Hunt wrote:
>           cgw at fnal.gov "Charles G Waldman" writes:
>> Yes, but it sure is tacky!  Especially considering that they do not
>> credit Python at all.

Credit would be a good thing.  Let's ask them (perhaps they did come up
with the code on their own).

>If yuo ask me (and no-one did, why should they?) Python should be
>released under a GPL or LGPL license to stop this sort of thing.

But that would stop all kinds of other good things.  The Python license
was quite deliberately chosen.

Besides, only the old BSD license required credit to be given.  The GPL
doesn't.  (The new BSD license doesn't either.)

I wonder if Python *could* be released under the GPL.  Does the existing
license allow for re-licensing?  I believe it does permit it...

>People who take without giving are tacky and should probably be
>avoided. Especially when they screw up Python's syntax.

Sure, but that has nothing to do with whether we should require everyone
to sign a contract prohibiting not only that, but also many other things.

--
-William "Billy" Tanksley