Dialect, A Python derived environment (and language ?)

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Fri Sep 24 00:54:33 EDT 1999

Phil Hunt <philh at vision25.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <14313.64297.661308.942021 at gargle.gargle.HOWL>
>            cgw at fnal.gov "Charles G Waldman" writes:
>> Martijn Faassen writes:
>>  > It's probably an implementation from scratch...
>>  > It's too close to Python in syntax for this to be an independent
>>  > development..
>>  >
>>  > Of course, they can do whatever they like. :)
>>
>> Yes, but it sure is tacky!  Especially considering that they do not
>> credit Python at all.

> If yuo ask me (and no-one did, why should they?) Python should be
> released under a GPL or LGPL license to stop this sort of thing.

> People who take without giving are tacky and should probably be
> avoided. Especially when they screw up Python's syntax.

But the non-GPLness of the license has also given Python some significant
advantages -- it can be used in commercial software, for instance. I also
imagine that if Python and its libraries had been GPL, we might've have seen
a thing like Zope being open source right now, as it might not have been
created. LGPL might still have worked, though.

Besides, if Dialect is only inspired by Python and does not use any of its
implementation, no GPL will help anyway. Did anyone try out Dialect and
check if it is Python in disguise or a reimplementation?

Regards,

Martijn