Turing Compliant?

Stephan Houben stephan at pcrm.win.tue.nl
Tue Sep 7 03:36:24 EDT 1999

"Tim Peters" <tim_one at email.msn.com> writes:

> [Graham Matthews, in the midst of explaining the conventional distinction
>  between "unbounded" and "infinite" wrt Turing machines]
> > We won't even bring up that the cardinality of this set is even larger
> > than the simply unbounded enumerable sets.
>
> [Travis Oliphant}
> > I suppose I shouldn't go there but the infinitity of infinities is a
> > concept that has always enchanted me.
> >
> [William Tanksley]
> > Not to mention the number of infinities -- are there more than two of them
> > (countable and uncountable)?  Cohen proved that the question isn't
> > answerable
>
> Don't go provoking Uncle Timmy into joining a thread, or c.l.py will never
> have peace again.

<History of modern mathematics snipped.>

If you think all this is infinitely cool, go and read:
"Infinity and the Mind" by Rudy Rucker.

Popular scientific book on all kinds of infinity: mathematical,
physical and otherwise.

And remember:
There are infinitely more forms of infinities than even an unbounded
thread on comp.lang.python can discuss.

Infinitely yours,

Stephan