Advanced object persistence?

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Tue Sep 28 14:50:33 EDT 1999

In article <87so3z7xzw.fsf at ethereal.dhis.org>,
Nolan Darilek  <nolan at ethereal.dhis.org> wrote:

>To run each function, I'm basically instantiating an object and
>dropping all references to it. Python does garbage collection,
>correct? Could this practice possibly cause memory leaks? Also, can
>Python constructors return values?

Your other issues are beyond me, so I'll tackle an easy one:

Python uses refcounting, not GC.  This is a Good Thing in most cases,
and it means that you don't have to worry in your use.  It does mean
that circular references lose memory, which leads to regular calls for a
GC system in Python.  So far, few people have taken up the gauntlet to
produce a GC system for Python, and all of them have significant
problems.
--
                      --- Aahz (@netcom.com)

Androgynous poly kinky vanilla queer het    <*>      http://www.rahul.net/aahz/
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6  (if you want to know, do some research)