Python Error Messages

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Thu Sep 9 08:05:31 EDT 1999

jonathon <jblake at stamp-coin.com> wrote:
> Why are PythonError messages so annoying?
>
> I've been trying to debug a script for the last four days,
> to no avail.  With two of the four databases I run it on,
> the script does just what it is supposed to.  On the other
> two databases, it doesn't.
>
> The current exasperating error message:
>
> Traceback (innermost last)
>   File "mass.py", line 21102 in ?
>             print changed_field, " is record_list[28] "
>           File "mass.py", line 20610 in print_web_page
>             table_prefix = "<tr><td> "
>   TypeError:  illegal argument type for built in operation.

if you get error messages that doesn't make sense,
it's usually an extension module that misbehaves. the
most common reason is that the extension module
intentionally ignores an internal exception, without
clearing the exception state.

is this a pure python script (using only standard
library modules), or are you using any extensions?

</F>