Python Error Messages

jonathon jblake at stamp-coin.com
Thu Sep 9 20:34:51 EDT 1999

On Thu, 9 Sep 1999, Charles G Waldman wrote:

>jonathon writes:
> >
> > 	The current exasperating error message:
>It seems pretty likely to me (but this is just a guess!) that the
>error is on the line:
>
>add_keywords = ( pre_keywords + country_name + country_section_name +
> scott_data + michel_data + y_t_data + s_g_data + minkus_data +
> end_of_line )

	That wasn't the error.  Some of the errors turned out to
	be the result of my not setting "return return_object"
	in a couple of defs.  Python very nicelly returned NULL.
	Still haven't managed to track the rest down.  :-(

	For the curious the other obnoxious error is:
	"IndexError: string index out of range"

	Obnoxious, because:
	A) It is supposed to be looking at a list, not a string.
	B) The actual error is several hundred lines from where
	       the message occurs.

>What seems most annoying to me, and I really don't have a clue about,
>is why you're getting an off-by-one error on the line number.  Is
>there something strange about this file perhaps?

	The file it is reading is roughly 4 MB in size.  Each line is
	roughly 420 characters long.

>By the way,  I'd write the line in question as:
>
>add_keywords = "%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s%s" % (pre_keywords, country_name,
>	     country_section_name, scott_data, michel_data, y_t_data,
>	     s_g_data, minkus_data, end_of_line )

	Did that, and replaced most, if not all of the similar lines.
	Didn't fix the error, since it wasn't the error, but it did
	speed up the script by a considerable margin.  :-)

	xan

	jonathon