Nolan's question of the day: distributed servers?

Robin Dunn robin at alldunn.com
Thu Sep 30 12:22:52 EDT 1999

> My current big project is a MUD server in Python. I have some
> interesting ideas, only one of which I'll bore you all with. :) I
> honestly don't know how Python will perform in this area. I'm not
> aiming my code at lower-end processors though, so I'm not terribly
> worried, but in order to alleviate some of this, I'm trying to either
> use an existing object distribution scheme such as CORBA/ILU, or
> *shudder* write my own. :)

Another example from the Java world is the Voyager tool.
(http://www.objectspace.com/) You might be able to get some ideas from them.
It's pretty awsome...  It does CORBA/RMI/DCOM without having to work from
stubs and skeletons, it can remotely activate objects, dyamically retrieve
interfaces and build proxy objects, do mobile agents, and much more.  If
this could all be done in CPython it would truly be a dream come true.

--
Robin Dunn
Software Craftsman