Redhat Python RPM

Chad Netzer chad at vision.arc.nasa.gov
Fri Sep 17 04:10:43 EDT 1999

Jeff wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 16, 1999 at 05:01:18PM -0700, Patrick Phalen wrote:
> > I think Oliver has gotten too busy to maintain these, so you won't find
> > RH 6.0 built RPMs on his pages (the ones there were built for 5.x).
> >
> > I believe Chad Netzer has taken over, but has also been preoccupied
> > with other matters recently and is now getting caught up.
>
> please let me know how you'd like to fire this up.. chad? you out there?

Yes, I'm here.  I just got back to reading after many, many diversions.  So
where do I begin?

First of all, I have sort of taken over the Python4Linux project from Oliver
while he is busy working on an open source Python project.  I'm currently
negotiating for some server space (my ISP gives me 50 megs, which I'm
rapidly using up) and more bandwidth (my ISP serves its pages dead slow :)

Since things are still in flux, I've been reluctant to post the address of my
Python
packages for Redhat/Mandrake here.  The  Python4Linux Archives  have the
information.  Hopefully, before too long, I'll be able to migrate to a better
server
and make an announcement here about availability.  In the meantime, those who
want to test out my packages, or help in some way are welcome to.  E-Mail me
for
more info.

By way of advertisement, here is a list of the SRPMS I've got available w/
some
commentary:

pysol-2.14-1cfn.src.rpm                        # The python Solitaire games
pysol-2.91-1cfn.src.rpm
python-1.5.2-240899cfn.src.rpm        # A CVS snapshot packaged (time to
update)
python-1.5.2-6cfn.src.rpm                   # enhanced version of Oliver's
package
python-1.5.2-7mdk.src.rpm                 # Put together for Mandrake 6.1 (but
not included)
python-doc-1.5.2p1-4cfn.src.rpm
python-imaging-1.0-4cfn.src.rpm     # Release version of Python imaging (w/
patches)
python-mxDateTime-1.3.0-4cfn.src.rpm  # Recent, patched and tested versions of
mx utils
python-mxTextTools-1.1.1-1cfn.src.rpm
python-mxTools-1.0.0-5cfn.src.rpm
python-numpy-1.11-3cfn.src.rpm     # Minor fix from Travis Oliphant's version
python-opengl-1.5.5-3cfn.src.rpm     # Works w/ Mesa and has minor build fixes

python-pmw-0.8.1-1cfn.src.rpm        # Python Mega Widgets, a must have for
Tkinter

Also, the 6.1 releases of both RedHat and Mandrake have fixed versions of
netcfg and pythonlib,
so that 1.5.2 will work with them.  Anyone using 1.5.2 should upgrade to these
newer versions,
even if you do not upgrade your distribution.  They each also include a 1.5.2
python package
(although not as good as the one Oliver and I have put together)

Well, I just finished a few hours of working on this, so I'm going home to
sleep.  Thanks for you
interest;  I'm certainly happy that the mainstream distributions are finally
getting up to date w/
regards to Python, but there are many more things to be done.

Chad Netzer
chad at vision.arc.nasa.gov