Seeking GUI advice

Boudewijn Rempt boud at rempt.xs4all.nl
Sun Sep 19 04:11:08 EDT 1999

Charles Medcoff <cmedcoff at sprynet.com> wrote:

> I kind of thought that Tkinter was being swamped out by Pythonwin, and
> wxPython. Is this true?  Is there something else available?  Is here
> something else Python developers are going to standardize on?  Any advise
> appreciated.

If I were you I'd try wxPython. Last time I looked at it, it was quite
well documented and people speak highly of the actual object model. Plus,
on Unix, it uses the gtk widget set, which, while not as good (pleasant
to use, pretty to look at) as the Qt widget set, beats Tk easily -
even though you _can_ make decent interfaces with TkInter.

If you'd just develop for Unix and weren't worried about portability to
other Os'es (like I am), I'd go for PyQt/PyKDE, which is an incredible
lot of fun to work with, and for which there is good documentation and
a tutorial that appears to be quite popular (at my homepage).

There are all kinds of comparisons available on the web. Take a look at

 http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/comp.lang.python/python_GUI.html

for instance.

--

Boudewijn Rempt  | http://www.xs4all.nl/~bsarempt