Seeking GUI advice

Charles Medcoff cmedcoff at sprynet.com
Sat Sep 18 21:02:06 EDT 1999

I don't want to start a flame war but I'm looking for advise on what GUI to
use with Python.

I'm pretty much a newbie still at this point.  I've only written a few
simple scripts for source control, builds, etc. to help out my C++
development.  I'm getting interested in using the GUI aspects of python.
I've used Tk a little bit.  There isn't any really great documentation for
Tkinter IMHO although I do appreciate the efforts of Fredrik Lundh.  I
understand that he may be publishing a Tkinter book this fall.  Is this
true?

I do most all of my work on the Windows platform and usually use Pythonwin
for my development but I'd like to create portable scripts if possible.
Beside there isn't any good documentation for Pythonwin's GUI either IMHO.
(Thanks for a cool development environment though;)  I guess I'm looking for
some documentation that does a fair amout of hand holding alla "Learning
Python".

I kind of thought that Tkinter was being swamped out by Pythonwin, and
wxPython. Is this true?  Is there something else available?  Is here
something else Python developers are going to standardize on?  Any advise
appreciated.

Chuck