Marking translatable strings

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at compaq.com
Tue Sep 28 16:50:05 EDT 1999

Tim Peters wrote:

> > Experience shows that horizontal space is often a valuable resource while
> > writing code, so we should try to be economical there for overall
> > legibility, much more than typability.

How about hacking the unary "+" operator on strings to
do translation? It would be hard to get any more horizontally
economical than that, and it wouldn't require any change to
the scanner or parser.

> interned strings are effectively immortal.

Do they have to be implemented that way? Surely the links from
the interning table to the interned strings should be a form
of weak reference.

Greg