Turing Compliant?

Christian Tismer tismer at appliedbiometrics.com
Wed Sep 1 20:57:11 EDT 1999

François Pinard wrote:

> Skip Montanaro <skip at mojam.com> writes:
>
> > A Turing Complete language is one that can compute anything that you
> > can compute with a simple Turing machine.
>
> A "simple" Turing machine has infinite memory.  Who has that? :-)

Well, this is not so hard:
Emulate the "infinite tape" by a class which is able to read
and write from removeable disks, and whenever a partial tape
end is hit, let the user "insert a new disk" on demand.

Which is of course limited by money.

But I believe much earlier will the machine break, and you have
to replace it while the program runs. Well, pickling state
from time to time would do this. Well, no pickle needed,
just write out the current tape head position all the time,
and you have the state.

or-just-post-your-data-to-a-mailing-list--eGroups-is-infinite - chris

Kaiserin-Augusta-Allee 101   :    *Starship* http://starship.python.net
10553 Berlin                 :     PGP key -> http://wwwkeys.pgp.net