Source line number for log purpose (newbie)

Siggy Brentrup bsb at baal.infodrom.north.de
Sat Sep 25 21:14:23 EDT 1999

François Pinard <pinard at iro.umontreal.ca> writes:

> [1  <text/plain>]
> Siggy Brentrup <bsb at baal.infodrom.north.de> writes:
>
> > It's easy, feel free to use the attached code (quoted-printable to get
> > tabs right)
>
> Last week, I did something a bit more elaborate, but based on the same
> trick.  The problem is that between the interesting source line and the
> diagnostic, there might be a chain of intermediate routine calls, showing
> no real interest.  You'll find the code below.  I use it through:

Nice work, mine was only a quick 'n dirty sample for a newbie.

>         Report.oops(format, args...)
>
> like calls, from a bit everywhere in my code.  Each `def foo()...'
> which is uninteresting for diagnostic purposes has the following line:
>
>         Report.untangible(foo)
>
> after it, before the next `def'.

Just another idea: abuse a functions __doc__ string

def you_wont_want_to_see_me():
    """reported above level N"""
    return interesting()

Pursuing this idea you can get immune against name clashes across
modules.

> I made some effort to get a very legible log.  All successive log lines
> issued from within the same interesting spot in the program have the program
> location suppressed, but the margin preserved.  The program location is
> repeated in full when the line change.  Moreover, if another set of log
> lines come from another module, an extra white line is added for grouping.
>
> The few French comments should not create any problem, I guess.

Not a major problem, in school I was better in french than in english,
(cause liked Sartre and Camus better than Shakespeare I guess)

> [2 Report.py <application/octet-stream>]
# Services diagnostiques.
# Copyright © 1998, 1999 Progiciels Bourbeau-Pinard inc.
# François Pinard <pinard at iro.umontreal.ca>, 1998.

Btw, do you grant permission to use, copy and modify ...?

CU
  Siggy

--
noch nichts Aufregendes: