embedded Python server - desperate for help

Randy Heiland heiland at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon Sep 13 16:03:41 EDT 1999

Can someone help me overcome my ignorance in trying to write an embedded
Python server?

I've written a CORBA client-server, where the server is executing
embedded Python using simply
'PyRun_SimpleString'.  I'm confused over the uniqueness of object names
between different clients.

For example, the server basically does the following:

  Py_Initialize();
  // import some libs
  // wait for incoming strings to execute...

then client #1 might do:
  server->execute("s1 = Square(4)");

what if client #2 also creates an object 's1':
  server->execute("s1 = Square(6)");

Aren't the object names in some global namespace and therefore
problematic?

thanks for any insight,
--Randy