[Newbie] test_signal hangs

Nigel Head nhead at houbits.com
Wed Sep 15 03:09:27 EDT 1999

Lynn:

>  And now I'm trying to run the test set, but it hangs on
> test_signal--I let it run for more than an hour, and it just sat there.
>
> Should I even care? Or is this a real problem?

I had exactly the same problems (manual edits to configure - just doing
configure.h by hand didn't work for me - and hanging of test_signal). I also
had sporadic failures of other tests, which would all run when called
individually -- this I put to down to the draconian limitations on virtual
address space that the iServer boxes appear to apply!

I ended up just deleting test_signal to get the rest of the test suite to
run and ignoring the problem. It seems to be a non-issue at least as far as
running Zope is concerned (saying this will probably get it to come back and
bite me now though :->).

Regards, and apologies for the slightly off topic Zope parts of the reply,
        Nigel.

PS: Make sure to read the docs in doc/FAQ.txt before you try installing Zope
- you'll have trouble if you don't. The relevant point is attached below --
note however that the makefile.pre.in that needs patching is NOT either of
the ones in the Zope tree but the one from the python installation which
gets copied across during the Zope build.

PPS: I also found it necessary to build python with the full prefix
(/home/usr/.....) and run Zope in non-virtual mode for things to work
smoothly - if you find a way to build so that it'll run in the chroot'ed
environment I'd love to hear about it.

PPS: After all this I shall be moving away from Iserver -- I've found
another bunch who offer completely naked RedHat boxes, with unrestricted
root account for the same price -- this way I'll be able to run Zserver on
port 80, instead of hiding behind Apache. If you're interested let me know
in private email and I'll pass on the details - don't want to be flamed for
introducing commercial stuff here.

------------------

Zope Installation Frequently Asked Questions

  Installing Zope

    1. I am trying to build Zope on my BSD based system, but I
       keep getting "symbol not found" errors and the build
       scripts stop. What do I do?

       On some BSD based systems (BSDI, BSD/OS), you need to edit
       the Makefile.pre.in files in your Zope installation to add
       -rdynamic to the LDSHARED makefile variable. On some systems
       it may also be necessary to change the file named 'do.py'
       located in the 'inst' directory of your Zope installation,
       changing the line: do('make')  to: do('make -k').