Disk access going mental with Pythonwin?

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Tue Oct 12 19:45:21 EDT 1999

>    You could have the test done only at application activation time
as
> that is normally the only time a changed file will appear.

Actually, the text editor I use (PFE) does exactly this, and often
misses a change.  I really can't say exactly when, but I guess it
would be when I start a CVS or other operation, then switch back
waiting for it to complete.

So as my experience with an editor that did exactly that wasnt great,
I decided for the idle time option.  On NT I could even use the File
Change notification APIs, but that starts to get ugly handling
differences in the OS'.

I really dont think it is a huge problem - Pythonwin has been doing
that for quite some time now (build 123 or even earlier) and it has
only been noticed now that someone is editing a file on a floppy.
Another alternative would be to check if the file is on removable
media, and dont bother checking them.

> Or maybe
> have a choice of (no | activation | idle) detection.

That is probably the best actually...

>    The next version of SciTE will have a load on activate option.

Make sure you only do it if the loaded file is clean :-)

Mark.