Speeding up Python

Oleg Broytmann phd at phd.russ.ru
Tue Oct 19 11:12:35 EDT 1999

On 19 Oct 1999, TToommLL wrote:
> I read that Industrial Light And Magic is using Python, but I don't see how
> that is possible.  I need to do some heavy floating point and math.sin() number
> crunching  but find that Python takes 40 times as long as C++.  I tried JPython
> thinking that it would gain the speed of the JIT but it's about 30 times as
> long as using Java.  I wonder if I'm missing something.  Any suggestions?

   Do low-level stuff in low-level languages, and high-level stuff in high
lavael languages.

   Do number crunching in C, compile your code into a python module using
compiler optimisation, link with optimised (both in terms of algorithms and
compiler) math library.
   And glue all your modules together with Python!

Oleg.
----
    Oleg Broytmann      Foundation for Effective Policies      phd at phd.russ.ru