Speeding up Python

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Wed Oct 20 16:52:31 EDT 1999

In article <7ukvp4$16f at mail.psy.uva.nl>,
Ionel Simionescu <ionel at psy.uva.nl> wrote:
			.
>If you are bound to the use of quite unusual data structures, which make
>difficult vectorization, then you may need to use Python for prototyping
>only. However, no widely used math package or language can help you better
>in such a case.
			.
			.
			.
Now *that* surprises me.  Maybe I've misunderstood
what you've written here; do you truly prefer Python
to Mathematica and Matlab for, say, magnetohydrody-
namic or relativistic gravitational field solutions?
Now this has me thinking ... we've certainly compared
"scripting languages" often enough.  It's past time
to make explicit how well Mathematica and NumPy do
common engineering calculations.  The first thing I
realize in thinking about this is that I'd write
quite differently in the two; object orientation
really does make a difference.
--

Cameron Laird           http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/home.html
claird at NeoSoft.com      +1 281 996 8546 FAX