Python for the Palm(tm) Computing Platform

Martin Pool martinp at mincom.com
Mon Oct 25 01:59:19 EDT 1999

(I think that subject keeps 3Com's lawyers happy. ;-)

Has anybody worked on porting the Python interpreter to these
handhelds?

After thinking about it a little it seemed it should be possible to cut
Python back enough to fit into a fairly small amount of memory.
PalmOS's single-threaded event loop probably that the interpreter stop
to process events every so often: I think this is possible, but I'm not
sure that it can be done easily from deep inside the Python stack.  So
it seemed that Python programs will ignore events unless they're
explicitly polling for them.

It seemed like starting from Stackless Python might be a profitable
alternative: in that case the interpreter can just be left suspended if
the OS wants to go and do something else.

Just wondering...

 /\\\  Mincom | Martin Pool          | martinp at mincom.com
// \\\        | Software Engineer    | Phone: +61 7 3303-3333
\\ ///        | Mincom Ltd.          |
 \///         | Teneriffe, Brisbane  | Speaking for myself only