Nolan's question of the day: distributed servers?

Tom Culliton culliton at clark.net
Thu Oct 7 19:13:00 EDT 1999

Many many moons ago I was involved with Marcus J. Ranum's U*Mud
experiments which were a step in the direction of a distributed
server.  You could actually "walk" through a doorway and end up on a
different server with all of your "stuff".  The object representation
was designed to be portably serialized for storage or transmission,
and let you set arbitary properties used by actions.  Very cool stuff
but not very practical in the long run, there were far to many
administrative headaches involved even with the very clean and
otherwise minimalist server environment that Marcus had developed.