Finding out the OS distribution name (platform.py)

Jeff Bauer jbauer at rubic.com
Fri Oct 22 12:38:18 EDT 1999

"M.-A. Lemburg" wrote:
> Some information about MSDOS, Amiga and Windows CE would also
> be nice, BTW.
>
> If all goes well, the module might be a good candidate for the
> standard distribution. It offers *much* more detailed information
> than sys.platform.

A worthy goal.

> I've uploaded a new version:
>     http://starship.skyport.net/~lemburg/platform.py
> To see if it works on your platform, simply run the script.

It works on CE:

>>> platform.platform()
'wince'
>>> platform.system()
'wince'
>>> platform.node()
'Handheld_PC'

All other values return the null string, but it
should not be difficult to figure out: release,
version, machine, and processor.  If you'll leave
a slot open for 'wince' in your next release, I'm
sure we can supply the code to compute these values.

Jeff Bauer
Rubicon Research