Module for generic platform information: platform.py

M.-A. Lemburg mal at lemburg.com
Fri Oct 29 13:57:31 EDT 1999

Uwe Zessin wrote:

> In article <3819705B.6078E0C9 at lemburg.com>,
>   "M.-A. Lemburg" <mal at lemburg.com> wrote:
> > FYI, I've uploaded a new version with experimental Java and win32
> > support which you may want to test (version 0.5.0):
> >
> >         http://starship.skyport.net/~lemburg/platform.py
> >
> > To see if it works on your platform, simply run the script.
> >
> > Things that are still missing:
> > · support for MacOS
> > · support for Amiga, OS/2, MS-DOS and VMS
>                                         ***
>
> I decided to wait some time to allow the more popular ports to
> 'shake out' and then try to understand the module.
>
> Being a non-Unix person it is not always apparent to me what
> value is supposed to be returned from the different functions.
>
> It also looks like I need to do some enhancements in the OpenVMS
> port - e.g. it's currently missing uname() support.

What I basically need is some kind of API which does OpenVMS
specific things and then returns information like system,release,
version,machine,processor plus any other infos that are important
w/r to OpenVMS.

All return values should be strings. E.g on Linux I get:
>>> platform.uname()
('Linux', 'degas', '2.2.10', '#3 Tue Aug 24 12:22:39 MEST 1999', 'i586',
 'unknown')

On Win95 I get this:
('Windows', 'miro', '95', '4.00.950', '', '')

Things that cannot be determined should be returned as ''.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
Y2000:                                                    63 days left