statistics about newsgroup items

greg andruk meowing at banet.net
Thu Oct 14 19:22:16 EDT 1999

Helka FOLCH <helka.folch at edf.fr> wrote:

> I'd like to write a program that gets statistics concerning how many
> times a given news-item has been accessed or how many news items on
> average does a user read in a certain news group every time he/she
> connects to it, etc

NNTP does not reveal readership statistics.  You will need access to
the server's log files.  Visit news.software.nntp, there was much
discussion of how to get exactly that information (and whether keeping
such statistics is even a good idea) this week.

If instead you want to measure *posting* activity, just fetch all the
headers and count them ;)