Cisco config?

Laurent Szyster l.szyster at ibm.net
Fri Oct 15 09:54:53 EDT 1999

Aahz Maruch wrote:

> In article <Qr7N3.86$nf1.14912 at news.shore.net>,
> Michael P. Reilly <arcege at shore.net> wrote:
> >Aahz Maruch <aahz at netcom.com> wrote:
> >:
> >: I've found Gconfig, but my searching hasn't turned up anything for
> >: automated configuration of a Cisco router (a la "expect").  Any
> >: pointers?
> >
> >What about using Expect or ExpectPy?
>
> Well, yes, (that's what 'a la "expect"' meant) but we're not exactly
> Cisco experts here and I was hoping that someone else might have a bit
> of code to share so we don't have to start from scratch.  I'm given to
> understand (I'm not the person likely doing the work) that among other
> things the prompt changes as the configuration changes....

Well, the Cisco console prompt has three "states" I know about:

 hostname>
     The normal prompt

 hostname#
     Once you issued the 'enable' command (and entered a valid
     password), the prompt changes like when you become superuser
     on a UNIX console

 hostname(config)#
     If you then issue 'configure terminal', the prompt changes
     again reflecting the fact that you are configuring the
     router

There may be other prompt form. Hope this helps ...

Laurent