Snippet request: Connecting to databases

Oleg Broytmann phd at phd.russ.ru
Fri Oct 22 11:06:30 EDT 1999

On Fri, 22 Oct 1999, Hans Nowak wrote:
> The request is kinda easy... I'm looking for snippets to connect to
> databases. Any OS goes, idem for database (SQL Server, Access, Oracle,
> ...). A simple demonstration of how to connect and how to read a record
> or so, would do, although additional information (about requirements and
> such; which modules are needed, etc) is always welcome.

Gadfly - pure Python SQL engine; could work on any platform as Python could.

----- create database -----
#! /usr/local/bin/python

import os, gadfly
os.mkdir("gf_test")

connection = gadfly.gadfly()
connection.startup("ph", "gf_test")

cursor = connection.cursor()
cursor.execute("create table ph (nm varchar, ph varchar)")
cursor.execute("insert into ph(nm, ph) values ('arw', '3367')")
cursor.execute("select * from ph")
for x in cursor.fetchall():
    print x
connection.commit()
connection.close()
----- /create database -----

----- use database -----
#! /usr/local/bin/python

import gadfly
connection = gadfly.gadfly("ph", "gf_test")

cursor = connection.cursor()
cursor.execute("select * from ph")
for x in cursor.fetchall():
    print x