eff-bot Python book ... revisited

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Sun Oct 31 13:15:18 EST 1999

Randall Hopper <aa8vb at yahoo.com> wrote:
> The eMatter pages indicate that you get a Word [uggh] or PDF file as a
> download after contacting the server.

for now, you get a PDF file, which can only
be viewed/printed from a Windows box.

support for other platforms should be available
soon (see the fatbrain site for more info).

> Couldn't this be pulled across to the pre-
> ferred OS?

yes, but that takes a little creativity, as Scott
mentioned.  (and is only allowed for personal
use, of course).

> Or is this really an electronic-only book (proprietary
> format or viewing server).  Hope not.

for now, it works best if you treat it as an
electronically distributed paper book.  in
other words, download and print. (a script
archive, errata, and cover art will be posted
within a few days).

<flame note="not directed to randall,
and shouldn't be read by anyone made
of flammable material">

and before even more people start whining
about me "betraying Python in itself, and
especially its Unix roots," note that 1) this
book wouldn't exist if it hadn't been for
the eMatter initiative, 2) I only wrote the
book, not the distribution software, and
3) Python was originally written on a Mac.

in other words, future eff-bot guides will
be available on Macs only!

thanks.  I feel better now ;-)

</flame>

</F>

<!-- (the eff-bot guide to) the standard python library:
-->