Beginning programming with Python

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Thu Nov 18 16:21:13 EST 1999

In article <assonant-80s673/INN-2.2.1/basilar at broadway.news.is-europe.net>,
Janos Blazi <jblazi at netsurf.de> wrote:
>> the less time it costs to program it, the more time it costs to run it,
>> the more time it costs to program it, the less time it costs to run it.
>
>Is this some law of nature I missed at university?
>But obviously, as far as raw speed is concerned Python cannot compete with
>C. Nobody can attempt to deny that. So if speed is an issue for you, use C.
>Or even assembly language.
>If you do not like Python, use C anyway. Why not? Actually I do not care.

The point is that, generally speaking, programming in Python takes less
time than programming in C, but C programs are faster.  So you trade
development time for code speed.  OTOH, programming in C is enough more
difficult that if your speed requirements are based on finding a good
algorithm, your Python program might well be faster (because you can try
more algorithms per unit time in Python).
--
                      --- Aahz (@netcom.com)

Androgynous poly kinky vanilla queer het    <*>      http://www.rahul.net/aahz/
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6  (if you want to know, do some research)