automatic "lootjes trekken" [ was Re: automatic "lotjes trekken"]

Philip Lijnzaad lijnzaad at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Nov 25 10:01:19 EST 1999

sorry, I still can't resist, even though it's futile ...

Carel> Well, the file at home *is* called lootjes-trekken.py, but somehow the
Carel> spellling got corrupted:)

Carel> OTOH, Dutch being a permissive language does allow for both variants!

mm ... does it? Living abroad, I haven't kept up with the new spelling. Or
perhaps it's more of a regional thing? (Incidentally, dialects of computer
languages never seem to be regional. Oh, and (also incidentally) please don't
get the impression that Dutch is indentationally-structured :-)

Carel> "lotjes" being the generic form, "lootjes" the special case (from a
Carel> morphological point of view that is).

To me, the form 'lotje' resonates more with 'van lotje getikt' (meaning 'mad,
stupid, bonkers' which is an admittedly fairly old-fashioned expression) than
with 'lot' (meaning 'lottery ticket').

Still-not-resisting-the-futile-urge-ly yours,

                                                                      Philip
--
If information has state, are we now in the liquid, gaseous or plasmatic phase?
Philip Lijnzaad, lijnzaad at ebi.ac.uk | European Bioinformatics Institute,rm A2-24