Can Zope be used as a CVS server?

Andy Robinson andy at robanal.demon.co.uk
Sun Nov 7 17:05:40 EST 1999

harms at mbnet.mb.ca (Stefan Harms) wrote:

>In article <14371.11961.82152.303247 at dolphin.mojam.com>, skip at mojam.com (Skip Montanaro) wrote:
>
>>     Stefan> Could I use Zope for the functionality of a CVS server?
>>
>> Dunno, and it's not obvious (to me) why you'd want to do that.  Could you
>> motivate your question by providing some rationale for not using CVS itself?
>>
>> Skip Montanaro | http://www.mojam.com/
>> skip at mojam.com | http://www.musi-cal.com/
>> 847-971-7098   | Python: Programming the way Guido indented...
>

>The only reason for using Zope as a CVS server, is that somebody I know finds it difficult to get CVS going as a server, and that the potential participants are not familiar with CVS, but they all have browsers...
>and therefore can learn to use Zope.
>
>Thanks for the reply

I agree and asked about this on the Zope list, but got no reply.

If you work behind firewalls then you need a web interface to CVS, a
web-based bug-tracking system, and a web-based project mailing list.
You can get all three separately but it is a pain in the ****.

If someone made a set of Zope objects which picked up the Zope
permissions and user model, and set up and managed a CVS project
accordingly (assuming CVS is on the server), one box such as Starship
could provide a collaborative working environment for a whole host of
projects, and the administrator could stay sane because Zope lets him
delegate management.

- Andy