eff-bot's The Standard Python Library

claude tendac at wanadoo.fr
Sat Nov 6 09:22:13 EST 1999

Ematter short story :
(sorry for my english, i am french)

1) i have tried to install it on a W98 personal computer,
and i saw the following message :

eMatter(c) Error
An error occured while preparing to display eMatter(c),
Please try again. If continue to have problems
contact Fatbrain.com Customer Service

=== I send an email to fatbrain customer service :
no answer
===

2) i have tried to install it on a Linux personal computer where
Nt4 SP5 is a "guest" reachable by VMWARE software (www.vmware.com).
All worked fine, i could read the book (acrobatreader V3) in spite of black
boxes appearing at the end of some paragraphes (acrobatreader errors 'Cs8' ???).
But when i left Nt4 session and started a new one with vmware and proceeded with
eMatter_The_Standard_Python_Librar.exe , i saw the following message :

There is a problem processing your saved registration information.
Please contact Fatbrain.com Customer Service

=== I send an email to fatbrain customer service :
 no answer
===

3)I have sucessfully installed eMatter_The_Standard_Python_Librar.exe on a true
Nt4 SP5
(not a linux-vmware one). All worked fine, i could read the book (acrobatreader
V3)
in spite of black boxes appearing at the end of some paragraphes (acrobatreader
errors 'Cs8' ???).
Then following the advice of the author of the book, i have upgraded acrobatreader
V3 to
acrobatreader V4, but now i CANT read the book :

eMatter(c) Error
An error occured while preparing to display eMatter(c), Please try again.
If continue to have problems contact Fatbrain.com Customer Service.

=== I send an email to fatbrain customer service :

You can go ahead and upload a new document on our site.  And then you can
delete the existing file that you are having problems with.  Please contact
me again if you have any further questions.

Thank you for using fatbrain.com
===

But in the meantime i cleaned up the "register base" (regedit)."Big Mistake".
I have had the following message

There are no new registration remaining for this license key, to view ematter
you will need to obtain an additional license key by purchasing this title from
fatbrain.com. If you believe you have reached this message in error , please
contatc Fatbrain.com customers service.

=== I send 2 emails to fatbrain customer service :
no answer.
===

Of course i have made a "big mistake", but i could not figure out
that this book was definitely tied up with Nt4.
If your NT box or w95/w98 box crash, the book is lost even if you
have made a backup of eMatter_The_Standard_Python_Librar.exe.,
this is a piece of nonsense, when you purchase a software it can
be install many times (Microsoft suite ...)

Best regards.