50% Python content :) (Distributed computing)

Skip Montanaro skip at mojam.com
Mon Nov 29 16:37:01 EST 1999

    Gaetan> I would like to explore distributed programming, and I think
    Gaetan> Python would be the right tool for that. I don't want to produce
    Gaetan> industrial-strenght code right now, but learn the basics.

There are a number of different models of distributed computing available.
You might find playing around with the eff-bot's xmlrpclib module (check
www.pythonware.com) a relatively painless way to experiment with the remote
procedure call model.  I saw something posted recently about an
implementation of a tuple space interface for Python as well.  Check out

    http://www.snurgle.org/~pybrenda/

You'll find that a bit more complicated to get started with, but may in the
long run provide a better computational model (depends on what you're really
after).

Finally, there is a Python interface to PVM.  Check out

    http://www.flyn.org/

to-play-is-to-be-happy-ly y'rs,

Skip Montanaro | http://www.mojam.com/
skip at mojam.com | http://www.musi-cal.com/
847-971-7098   | Python: Programming the way Guido indented...