python-sound-server for PySol under unix

Randall Hopper aa8vb at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 16 07:42:51 EST 1999

Markus F.X.J. Oberhumer:
 |I've written a prototype implementation of a simple
 |sound server for the next PySol release using a

Sounds pretty cool. :-)

 |small Python UDP server which forks of calls
 |to wav players like sox and bplay, but the
 |performance is not suitable for general release.
 |
 |Basically I'd only need what the Win32 winsound
 |module provides (play/loop/stop), though further
 |extensions could be interesting for other applications.
 |
 |So is there an official Python-way of playing
 |high-quality wav sounds under Unix ?
 |Using pipes, sockets, or daemons like ESD ?

rplay is one fairly portable sound server out there

     http://rplay.doit.org/

>From the README, it supports Linux, SunOS 4.1.x, and Solaris 2.x.  FreeBSD
works as well.  The README says that Irix and HPUX support are supported
but status isn't known.  Win32 isn't listed.

A Python SDL wrapper sounds interesting too.  Adds Win32 portability but
hits a few less UNICes:

       http://www.devolution.com/~slouken/SDL/

You probably have investigated it more than I have, but at first glance, it
looks like it might be well suited for scripted access (in that much of the
processing is off-loaded to C).

FWIW, I recall reading that MpegTV (www.mpegtv.com) uses SDL for
full-screen DGA playback under XFree86.

Good luck!