Python complaints

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Wed Nov 24 09:06:03 EST 1999

Markus Stenberg <mstenber at cc.Helsinki.FI> wrote:
> >       - a less yucky way of saying "for i in range(1,20,3)"
>
> see above - although some special syntactic sugar would be "nice", I prefer
> minimalistic approach over say, C.. of course, Dylan does it (IMNSHO)
> cleanest:
>
> for (i from 3 to 19 by 3)

note that python already has a special syntax
for this purpose:

>>> a = range(20)
>>> print a[1:20:3]
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
TypeError: sequence index must be integer

(note that you got a type error, not a syntax
error.  numpy arrays fully support this syntax).

in other words, you don't have to be guido to
realize that something like:

    for i in [1:20:3]:

could be the right way to do it in Python.  in
fact, it's already on the list for 2.0:

http://www.foretec.com/python/workshops/1998-11/proceedings/guido/sld011.htm

</F>