Drawing (directed) graphs

Doug Hellmann doughellmann at home.com
Wed Nov 3 07:05:18 EST 1999

You might want to check out daVinci: http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/~davinci

The purpose of the app is to do very nearly what you wanted -- visualize
digraphs.  It handles optimizing the layout to reduce edge crossings and
minimize the size of the overall graph.  I have feed it hundreds of
nodes representing modules within some utility libraries my company
developed, and it happily laid out the graph for me so I could find ways
to reduce interdependencies in the code.

The last time I used it the easiest way to add/remove nodes was to edit
the data file, but now there is a new API that can be used.  I have a
class to create the graph files from Python code, if you would find that
useful I can send it to you.  I also have some code somewhere that
processed Makefile like input files (easier to construct than a daVinci
input file) and created graph files to be visualized.

Doug