Drawing (directed) graphs

Adrian Eyre a.eyre at optichrome.com
Fri Nov 5 11:32:21 EST 1999

>> How can there be. Some OSs (Minix) don't support
>> graphics at all...

> I didn't say EVERY OS, just a growing number of the
> common ones (and of course the GUI libraries too).

Sorry. Pedant mode cancelled.

However, AFAIK, every platform which Python runs on
supports ASCII text output, which is why I initially
suggested it as a method for drawing graphs.

> Tkinter is widely supposed to be platform-independent
> but that won't run on Minix either...

Pedant mode engaged. ;-)

I think that's called 'multi-platform' not 'platform-
independent'.

Platform independent code would be something like:

#!/usr/bin/env python

a = 1 + 1

Not terribly useful, but platform independent (at least
as far as Python is concerned.)

As soon as you import Tkinter, you lose a few platforms.
If you import posix or msvcrt, you lose more.

This is why it annoys me that some of the scripts in the
standard Python library are not platform independent, but
rely on non-portable features of posix.

Adrian Eyre <mailto:a.eyre at optichrome.com>
Optichrome Computer Solutions Ltd
Maybury Road, Woking, Surrey, GU21 5HX, UK
Tel: +44 1483 740 233  Fax: +44 1483 760 644
http://www.optichrome.com