Python 2.0

James Logajan JamesL at Lugoj.Com
Sun May 30 17:58:07 EDT 1999

Darrell wrote:
> Yet my gut evaluation says Gnome can be quite slow.
> I'm tempted to blame this on Corba.

I'm not familiar with Gnome; whose Corba software do they use?

> Has anyone else noticed that Gnome is slow and can Corba be
> blamed in part for that ? Is Corba generally slower than COM ?
> Does any of this matter ?

Don't know about what is possible theoretically with COM or CORBA,
speed-wise. But at least one free version of CORBA for C++ can optimize a
CORBA call into a simple function call; see
http://siesta.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/TAO.html

CORBA has the added advantage that unlike COM, it was always intended to be
platform and language neutral. Given an IDL published for one's favorite
app, I should TODAY be able to build a cooperating app in almost any
language I want. And luckily that includes Python as well as C++.

> Also does an open source bridge exist between Corba and COM ?
> Picture a Corba/COM component that lives in UNIX and is
> callable from Windows. Sort of takes the hot air out of arguments to use
> NT servers.

Good question and good point.