Python 2.0

Darrell news at dorb.com
Sun May 30 15:05:01 EDT 1999

> Take a look at the GNOME project. It is more than just a pretty desktop.
> It may well be a unifying project for all of the Unix world, bringing
> with it a component architecture based on CORBA as the main IPC
> mechanism. The GNOME development environment is also designed to be
> language neutral. You choose the development language.
>
> The real success of Gnome will come when developers take advantage of
> Corba to leverage the resources of others in their own
> programs/components/pluggins.

I concur with using something like Corba as a parallel to COM.
And that standardized distributed computing is a powerful concept.
Check out QNX where it's fast and transparent.

Yet my gut evaluation says Gnome can be quite slow.
I'm tempted to blame this on Corba.

Has anyone else noticed that Gnome is slow and can Corba be
blamed in part for that ? Is Corba generally slower than COM ?
Does any of this matter ?

Also does an open source bridge exist between Corba and COM ?
Picture a Corba/COM component that lives in UNIX and is
callable from Windows. Sort of takes the hot air out of arguments to use
NT servers.

Thanks.
Darrell