Using Tkinter in windows 98

Hans Nowak ivnowa at hvision.nl
Sun May 30 04:24:49 EDT 1999

On 29 May 99, Dennis Wilson wrote:

> Thanks,  but I have already been through that. I have deinstalled and
> reinstalled both python and tcl/tk. I had had a previous install of tcl/tk
> and those .dlls (I think) were removed. This is per the FAQ on the web-site.
>
> There isn't a real handy list of TCL/TK .dlls to find to remove. Without
> that the advice to remove the requisite .dlls is somewhat abstract. I'll bet
> some of the names have even changed with versions.
>
> If I remove python, my tcl still runs fine. My tcl ran fine before I tried
> to install python. This means to me that the tcl/tk .dlls are finding their
> system stuff just fine.
>
> My question is what does python throw into the mix? This has to be the
> breaking point, if my windows works and my tcl/tk works.

Python just wants to import the DLLs for Tcl and Tk and apparently
can't find them. You could try the following: Go to your Tcl
directory ("folder", in MSSpeak), assuming the newest version is
there, and copy the files tcl80.dll and tk80.dll (again, assuming
these files have the same name on your system) to the \windows\system
directory. It worked for me.

Good luck,

--Hans Nowak (ivnowa at hvision.nl)
Homepage: http://fly.to/zephyrfalcon