Using Tkinter in windows 98

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Sun May 30 01:16:59 EDT 1999

[Dennis Wilson]
> Thanks,  but I have already been through that. I have deinstalled and
> reinstalled both python and tcl/tk. I had had a previous install of tcl/tk
> and those .dlls (I think) were removed. This is per the FAQ on
> the web-site.
>
> There isn't a real handy list of TCL/TK .dlls to find to remove.

Well, Python had nothing to do with your previous installation of Tcl/Tk, so
it can't very well tell you where that installation hid it stuff.

Try Start -> Find -> Files or Folders, choose "Local hard drives", make sure
"Include subfolders" is checked, and do a search for
    tcl*.dll
and another for
    tk*.dll

On my works-fine Python 1.5.2 Windows (Win95, but shouldn't matter)
installation, this turns up exactly 4 hits:

tclreg80.dll
tcl80.dll
tclpip80.dll
tk80.dll

all in directories at or under C:\Program Files\Tcl\.  And these 4, plus
msvcrt.dll, are the only dlls under that directory.  Tell us what that finds
on your machine.

> My question is what does python throw into the mix?

The truth?  Nothing.  Honest!  Python is a perfectly vanilla Tcl/Tk client,
but it (like all other Tcl/Tk clients) needs a particular version (or
better) of Tcl/Tk to run with.

BTW, when you say "your Tcl" works fine, what do you mean?  Is this the
version you had before installing Python, or is it the version Python
installed?  Or didn't you let Python install the version it needs?  Bring up
tclsh or wish, and enter

    info patchlevel

The Tcl/Tk shipping with Python 1.5.2 displays

    8.0.5

in response.  What does your Tcl/Tk display?

you-know-much-more-than-you've-communicated<wink>-ly y'rs  - tim