using python in www site

M.-A. Lemburg mal at lemburg.com
Sun May 9 06:09:49 EDT 1999

Travis C. Porco wrote:

> In article <373317F6.737B4D40 at zarlut.utexas.edu>,
> Tom Bryan  <tbryan at zarlut.utexas.edu> wrote:
>
> >Tom Bryan wrote:
>
> >> (To make this post not too off-topic...)
> >> You might want to convince the ISP to install M.A. Lemburg's
> >> recently-released mxCGI distribution: a compact, easy-to-install
> >> Python.
>
> >> http://starship.skyport.net/~lemburg/mxCGIPython.html
>
> >Actually, I guess you don't even need to have them install it.
> >You should be able to install Python in the company's home
> >directory on their ISP's machine.  I think that's the point of
> >mxCGI.  Then you can begin your scripts with import cgi, and you're
> >on your way.  I remember that Python's cgi module was very easy
> >to use.
>
> How would you get access to such a directory?  I sure can't seem to
> find it on my ISP.

To install the binary you only need FTP access and an cgi-bin
directory that executes .cgi as CGI programs. Here are the
steps needed:

1. Create a new directory on your account's home dir, say
   pythons/, using FTP (ftp myhost.isp.com; mkdir pythons)

2. Find out the path to that directory (still in FTP: cd pythons;
   pwd)

3. Upload the un'gzipped cgipython binary (still in FTP: put cgipython);

4. Write a simple shell script install.cgi that sets the execute
   flag on .../pythons/cgipython and put it into the cgi-bin dir

5. Use your browser to execute that script, e.g. point it to
   http://myhost.isp.com/cgi-bin/install.cgi

6. Delete the installed shell script install.cgi

7. Add the line '#!/...full path to cgipython as noted in step 2/cgipython'
   to all your CGI scripts

8. Upload the CGI scripts to the cgi-bin dir

That's all -- you don't even need a TELNET access. I've used this
approach a couple of times already, and yes, this is the main point
in the mxCGIPython project.

Cheers,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
Y2000:                                            Y2000: 236 days left